CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Impossible Task?

After watching the new James Bond 007 movie, Quantum of Solace a few weeks ago, I decided I would forever more swear off of movies portraying excessive use of firearms. At the end of the first 10 minutes of the movie, dozens of people (all the "bad guys" of course) had been killed by Bond, and I realized as I looked around the theater that this type of entertainment is so pervasive and accepted by society, that no one was even bothered by the mass violence. In fact, we were all eating our popcorn and drinking our sodas with little concern at all. So, I decided to try an experiment and not watch any more media portraying guns. Little did I know what a tough challenge this would be. Here is a short list of shows I like and gray areas where media portrays gun use but maybe it's ok?...

1. Family Guy - excessive use of violence (i.e. Stewie beating up Brian "where's my money?!) for the purpose of biting social commentary
2. "Australia" - movie seen last night set in the 1940's when rough times and dangerous living required protection via firearms
3. Funny movies/spoofs that incidentally have firearm use/killing: "Get Smart" with Steve Carrell

Maybe I won't be able to wholly eliminate watching media without firearm use, but at least I can limit the amount I watch and be more aware of how guns are portrayed versus the stark reality of gun-related violence.

0 comments: