CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Living in my Back Body

On the very first day of beginning yoga this semester, Dr. Connor had us all practice a very simple exercise. We were told to walk across the room several times as if each of us were a horse with a carrot dangling in front of our mouths. We listened to the sounds made by our hurrying bodies, and observed our forward-slanted postures. Then, we practiced walking more in what Dr. Connor calls the "back body." Being in our front body, or walking toward the figurative carrot is analagous to making a constant mad rush for the future and being worried about classes, work, and extracurricular activities. Being equally in the front and in the back body means being fully aware of the present and making every minute of the day personally fulfilling.

Recently I've been having a hard time dealing with the pressures many people place on getting into graduate school. There's the GRE to worry about, internships, and getting stellar references. But then I realized that I've totally forgotten about my back body. Today I'm turning over a new leaf, which means withdrawing from some committments and making more time for myself, family, and friends. I'll still work hard to get good grades and submit an amazing application to PT school, but what use are these efforts if I don't enjoy myself at the same time?

Three cheers for not overcommitting and for living in the back body.

2 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

Colleen,

I thought this post was very insightful. Over-committing myself actually made me miss yoga today, which I thought was kind of ironic. It is so hard to find a good balance between personal and professional successes, but here's to trying!