CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 27, 2007

In A Strange Place

Today was the first day of classes, and for some strange reason, I wasn't as psyched as I usually am. Am I hitting a slump? In a way, I'm completely ready to be done with school, and I'm just not all that excited about this school year. But then I get to thinking... what is it that I'd rather be doing? Would I rather be living in a house, pregnant, having a job... being a "grown-up?" But then I realize that when I've got all of those things, I'll be wanting something else; probably wanting to be able to take more vacations, visit family more often, and so on. So what is it I/we really want out of life? How can I figure out how to find happiness in current situations instead of always hoping the future will get here quicker? I feel like I'm in such a strange place right now. I'm burnt out with school, but know that I shouldn't always be looking to the future. I've always thought one should strive to be more in sync with the present. Maybe this is just a response to the first day of classes, what with going over the syllabi and learning about all the projects in store for us for the semester. Let's see how the rest of the week unfolds. (There's those thoughts about the future again!)

1 comments:

Rachel said...

I know what you mean. I keep thinking, "In two years, that's when our life is really going to start." It's hard not to want the stressful and busy parts of life to just be over as quickly as possible, which will probably be everything until retirement.

I'm choosing to blame our society's focus on achievement. We're all so busy trying to achieve something so that the next phase of our life will be bigger and better. But since we're always working to achieve for the future, we can never enjoy what we've already accomplished.

It's a vicious cycle, one I wish I could completely ditch. I'd love to forget about achieving for a little while and just enjoy. We may to plan two years post-grad school to bum around Europe and not worry about the future.